Victim Services Newfoundland and Labrador is a free and confidential justice service for victims of crime. It is our principle that all victims are treated with courtesy, compassion and respect. We believe that all victims should suffer as little inconvenience as possible from their involvement with the criminal justice system, and receive prompt and fair redress for the harm they have suffered. Our approach is client centered - we tailor our services to meet the needs of each victim.
Our services are voluntary. You may decide that you do not require any services. You may like a full range of services. Or you may only want some of the services we offer. The choice is yours.
Every situation is unique and our services reflect each individual's needs - whether it is deciding to report an incident to the police, guidance through the court process or follow-up after sentencing - we can help you explore your options and provide you with the information, understanding and support you need.
Victim Services Can Help With:
- General information about the criminal justice system to help you understand how it works.
- Providing you with information on what is happening with your case.
- Pre-court preparation so you can participate more meaningfully in the court process.
- Help with preparing a Victim Impact Statement, if you wish to complete one.
- Identifying and referring you to specialized community resources, if you need them.
- Providing emotional support and short-term counseling as you prepare to go through court.